- Netflix and Blink Industries announce a new 2D animated series DeadEndia based on the graphic novels from award-winning creator Hamish Steele.
- The series will be produced at the Blink Industries studio in London and will premiere globally on Netflix in 2021.
- Based on Hamish’s horror-comedy graphic novels of the same name and web short Dead End, the series follows the adventures of Barney, Norma and magical-talking-dog Pugsley, as they balance their summer jobs at the local theme park haunted house while battling the totally real supernatural forces that dwell within it. Together with their guide to the underworld multiplane, a sardonic thousand-year-old demon named Courtney, they’ll face zombie mascots, demonic game show hosts, sleep-sucking witches and the scariest thing of all: their first crushes!
- The graphic novels have been lauded for capturing the growing pains of early adulthood of characters with a wide variety of identities and experiences including Barney, a transgender teen, and neurodiverse Norma.
- The series will star Zach Barack as Barney (Spider-Man: Far from Home), Kody Kavitha as Norma (Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Emily Osment as Courtney (Almost Family, The Kominsky Method), Alex Brightman as Pugsley (Beetlejuice The Musical), Clinton Leupp a.k.a. Miss Coco Peru as Pauline Phoenix (Will & Grace), Kenny Tran as Logs (Maybe Happy Ending) and Kathreen Khavari as Badyah (Marvel Rising, Insecure, Big Little Lies).
- Hamish Steele: “DeadEndia is about terrifying demons, vengeful ghosts and mysterious magic. It is also about coming of age in a world that wasn’t made for you. It’s a drama about found family, identity and making mistakes. And of course it’s a laugh out loud comedy! I’ve always dreamed of making the show I needed as a lonely, horror-obsessed closeted gay kid and thanks to Netflix and our ridiculously talented, diverse and representative writers room and crew, we have shot way past my dreams and into wildest fantasy territory!”
About Blink Industries
Blink Industries is a BAFTA-nominated development and production studio based in London. We produce content rich in ideas, charm and craft, both with our roster of directors and through collaborations with like-minded creatives and fresh, new talent looking for a home to develop their IP. We have a distinctive and carefully curated development slate of kids & family and scripted comedy projects, and enjoy working in myriad disciplines from live action to 2D animation to puppetry. We strive to make the world a better, happier place.
Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with 183 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.