Pablo Larraín: “Extremely proud and excited to be part of this wonderful work, which we all
did from home. Very curious to know the people’s reaction.”
June 23, 2020 – Netflix today announces HOMEMADE, a collection of short films created by celebrated filmmakers around the world. Confined at home as a consequence of the COVID-19 outbreak, filmmakers created personal, moving stories that capture our shared experience of life in quarantine. Produced by The Apartment Pictures, a Fremantle company, and Fabula, HOMEMADE is a celebration of the craftsmanship of filmmaking and the enduring power of creativity in the face of a global pandemic.
Filmed using only equipment found at home, the stories range from intimate diaries of the filmmakers’ day-to-day life to short tales of fiction across multiple genres, offering a magnifying glass over how the lockdown impacted different countries and lives around the world.
Lorenzo Mieli, CEO of The Apartment, Fabula’s Juan de Dios Larraín and Pablo Larraín have rallied filmmakers from all around the world to join the project.
Behind the camera is a diverse and globe-spanning roster of some of the most acclaimed filmmakers of today, including:
- Ladj Ly (Les Misérables) – short filmed in Clichy Montfermeil (France)
- Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty, The New Pope) – short filmed in Rome (Italy)
- Rachel Morrison (Black Panther, Mudbound) – short filmed in Los Angeles (USA)
- Pablo Larraín (El Club, Jackie) – short filmed in Santiago (Chile)
- Rungano Nyoni (Kuuntele: I am not a witch) – short filmed in Lisbon (Portugal)
- Natalia Beristáin (She does not want to sleep alone) – short filmed in Mexico City (Mexico)
- Sebastian Schipper (Victoria, Roads) – short filmed in Berlin (Germany)
- Naomi Kawase (True Mothers, Sweet Bean) – short filmed in Nara (Japan)
- David Mackenzie (Hell or High Water, Outlaw King) – short filmed in Glasgow (Scotland)
- Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Kindergarten Teacher / The Honourable Woman) – short filmed in Vermont (USA)
- Nadine Labaki & Khaled Mouzanar (Caramel, Capernaum) – short filmed in Beirut (Lebanon)
- Antonio Campos (The Devil All The Time) – short filmed in Springs, New York City (USA)
- Johnny Ma (Old Stone; To live to sing) – short filmed in San Sebastián del Oeste, Jalisco (Mexico)
- Kristen Stewart (Clouds of Sils Maria / Come Swim) short filmed in Los Angeles (USA)
- Gurinder Chadha (Bend It Like Beckham; Blinded by the light) – short filmed in London (UK)
- Sebastián Lelio (Gloria Bell, A Fantastic Woman) – short filmed in Santiago (Chile)
- Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night; The Bad Batch) – short filmed in Los Angeles (USA)
Lorenzo Mieli, CEO of The Apartment: “This project is a beautiful way to send a strong message of unity and resilience throughout the international creative community. I want to thank Netflix as well as all our directors for taking this challenge and proving that, even in such a complicated time, we can all try to move forward on exciting and unbeaten paths”.
Juan de Dios Larraín, CEO Fabula: “Homemade is an invitation to a group of directors to explore creativity under the same conditions. It’s quite democratic. This is not about resources, this is about the craft of filmmaking”.
Pablo Larraín, Director : “Wonderful chance to work with people I admire. And also a very extraordinary chance to keep working, thanks to Netflix and its amazing team, in days so confusing and unique.”
Teresa Moneo, Director Original Films at Netflix: “Seeing the stories of others can open hearts and minds and make us all feel more connected. This is why, in these unprecedented times, we are humbled to work with this incredible ensemble of diverse filmmakers and to bring their personal stories to our members around the world”.
The anthology will be made available globally on Netflix on June 30 2020.
A donation in honor of each filmmaker will be made from Netflix’s Hardship Fund to third parties and non-profits that are providing emergency relief to out-of-work crew and cast across the broader TV and film industry.
About The Apartment: The Apartment is a company founded in 2020 by Lorenzo Mieli within the Fremantle group. The company focuses on the creation and development of global scale TV series and feature films by investing in IP acquisition, exclusive deals with International level talent and writers. The Apartment positions itself on the market as an incubator of major projects that are developed and financed, and then physically produced by a network of partner production companies. In its initial slate, The Apartment has co-produced with Wildside Paolo Sorrentino’s The New Pope, Saverio Costanzo’s, My Brilliant Friend – The Story of a New Name, and Luca Guadagnino’s upcoming We Are Who We Are, and will also develop any follow-up. Lorenzo Mieli is the CEO of The Apartment.
About Fabula: Fabula is the most prolific film production company in Latin America, best known for “A Fantastic Woman” winner of the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2018. Founded in 2004 by Juan de Dios Larraín (producer) and Pablo Larraín (director/producer), its work spans over to film, television, advertising and production services, they have produced more than 27 films, 800 commercials and three TV series made in Chile: “El Presidente”, being their latest project.
Fabula’s first English language film, “Jackie” -directed by Pablo Larraín- was nominated for three Academy Awards, including Best Actress for Natalie Portman. Larraín also directed “The Club,” winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the Berlinale 2015; “No,” nominated to the Oscars in 2013, and awarded Best Film at the Quinzaine des Réalisateurs at the Cannes Film Festival 2012. “Ema,” Larraín’s latest film,
Since its beginning, Fabula has taken a chance with young and talented directors such as Sebastián Silva (“Nasty Baby”, “Crystal Fairy”, Best Director at Sundance 2013) and Marialy Rivas (“Young and Wild”, Best Screenplay Sundance 2012; “Princesita”).
For more information, visit www.fabula.cl or follow us @fabulafilms (Facebook) and @fabula_prod (Twitter and Instagram).
About Netflix:Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with 183 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.