Developer Insights for the Tactical
Zombie Horror Game ‘Dead Age 2’
Advanced Combat Gameplay:
Return to the Nightmare Prepared
Developer Silent Dreams on the improved combat system of Dead Age 2:
“The original Dead Age had a very positive rating of 84% on Steam, but to reach new heights we implemented a lot of improvements for its successor in as many gameplay aspects as possible. Today we will provide you with more information about the game’s new combat system.
In comparison to part 1, the fighting system became much more complex and flexible. For example, you can now perform a normal attack twice in one round and collect adrenaline points. Strong survivors can protect their allies by taking position in front-row combat instead of the ranged-attack-row. In front-row position, you can also choose a more complex skill like “Brute Strike” and use your increased adrenaline to deal higher damage.
In the ranged-attack row you can also focus / recharge for using your strongest skills in the next round which do a lot of damage or can be very effective against enemies with certain debuffs. Team play is very effective e.g. if one survivor uses the shotgun to shoot zombies unconscious and another one then does extra damage against unconscious enemies using the jump attack.
Of course, the enemies have some nasty tricks, too. Their instincts may have several effects: zombies are able to strengthen each other, they hit each other to make themselves angry, and even bite other zombies to gather life energy or summon zombie hunters’ undead animals. Zombies can even infect you with the virus, too. So be careful!
In return, you have new special skills as well: you can use mobile turrets, summon a dog or later on, if you find one, even a hungry tiger.
About Dead Age 2:
The successful indie survival RPG Dead Age is back with a vengeance! Dead Age 2 features a unique combination of survival, management, roguelike events, fast-paced turn-based combat, classic role-playing game with tons of quests and a story in which your decisions directly affect plot progression.
- More complex story with no knowledge of the previous storyline necessary: If you haven’t played Dead Age you will still be able to follow the diverse story of Dead Age 2 without difficulty.
- Improved combat system (Final Fantasy X meets Darkest Dungeon): with fast-paced yet strategic battles and use of up to 24 skills
- Faction Reputation System: Increase your standing with the three major factions to reap rewards and improve trade
- 3D Base-Management: Assign tasks to survivors, craft items and expand you camp’s capabilities for improved crafting options
- Compact Open World: Free exploration of the world map with 80 detailed locations to search for valuable resources
- Decisions with Consequences: Your decisions directly affect the story in a much more drastic way. Dead Age 2 has six unique possible endings
- Rogue-Like Elements: random 3D events with permadeath! If you die, you may purchase upgrades unlocked in previous runs for your next playthrough. Choose from 3 difficulty levels
Headup is a hybrid games publishing and development company providing players worldwide with the best content in the independent gaming sector. Established in 2009, it is active on all major platforms such as consoles, mobile devices and PC, and was awarded as “Best Publisher” at the German Developers Awards in 2012, 2013, 2017 and 2019. With over 80 million customers served on mobile and further several million players on the PC and consoles, Headup is always looking to raise awareness and commercial success for developers thinking outside the box. More information can be found at www.headupgames.com and twitter.com/headupgames.
About Silent Dreams
Silent Dreams is a passionate indie developer for RPG’s, settled in Germany on the premises of Games Factory Ruhr. Their first release was Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes in June 2010, followed closely by the official successor Grotesque Tactics 2: Dungeons & Donuts in November 2011 and later Holy Avatar Vs Maidens of the Dead. Since 2015, the team is working on their survival RPG Dead Age and it’s successor Dead Age 2 (coming in June 2020).